Nurseries are one of the most fun rooms to decorate because they are places where you can feel free to bring in lots of stimulating colors and patterns. Our Chunky Letter Wall Art Wood Shapes are the perfect way to do just that by alternating different stencil patterns and bright paint colors onto each letter. To keep it all coordinated, we used a tone-on-tone painting technique by stenciling coordinating metallic Royal Stencil Cremes on matte colors of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint®.
We share the whole process in this fun DIY stencil video, and you will find the supplies and steps detailed out below!
- Medium Chunky Wood Letter Shapes™
- Mini Craft Stencils: Otomi Folk Art, Intricate Zelij, Donatella Damask, Peacock Fancy, and Sultan Swirl
- Royal Stencil Cremes: Royal Blue, Bright Gold, Orange Ice, Metallic Teal, and Lime Shine
- Annie Sloan Chalk Paint®: Napoleonic Blue, Arles, Barcelona Orange, Provence, Antibes Green
- 6” foam rollers, ½” stencil brushes, paper towels, painter’s tape
Step 1: Use a foam roller to paint a single Chalk Paint® color on each Wall Art Letter. Allow to dry.
Step 2: Load a ½” stencil brush with Royal Stencil Crème and off-load the excess paint onto a paper towel. Stencil one of the Mini Craft Stencils onto one of the Wall Art Letters. Make sure to use a Royal Stencil Crème on a corresponding Chalk Painted Wall Art Letter. This creates a tone-on-tone effect. We used:
- Napoleonic Blue Chalk Paint®, Royal Blue Stencil Crème, and our Otomi Folk Art Craft Stencil on the “#” shape
- Arles Chalk Paint®, Bright Gold Stencil Crème, and our Intricate Zelij Craft Stencil on the “c” shape
- Antibes Green Chalk Paint®, Lime Shine Stencil Crème, and our Sultan Swirl Craft Stencil on the “u” shape
- Barcelona Orange Chalk Paint®, Orange Ice Stencil Crème, and our Donatella Damask Craft Stencil on the “t” shape
- Provence Chalk Paint®, Metallic Teal Stencil Crème, and our Peacock Fancy Craft Stencil on the “e” shape
Step 3: Attach your painted and stenciled Wall Art Letter Shapes to your wall using Scotch® Removable Mounting Squares.
Whether you spell out your child’s name, a storybook quote, or #cute hashtag, these Wall Art Letters will be the perfect decor addition your little one’s room.
Looking for more kid’s room friendly Stencil Techniques like this? Check out these other stencil tutorials: