Today we highlight the color gray: Not only for wall stenciling but as a decorating staple that is here to stay.
The color gray has been popular for quite a while now, in fashion, home interiors, stationery design, event decor, and it's still going strong! Trend-watchers predict it will be even stronger for 2013, replacing the old standards as the new neutral of choice.
Of course we find inspiration in the many ads and room set-ups from our favorite home retail stores such as Crate&Barrel, Pottery Barn, West Elm and Restoration Hardware, and we imagine ourselves living in these dreamy, inviting rooms filled with gray accents. Browse through any single one of these retailer's catalogs and you'll get your fill of gray galore! But we don't live in catalog homes, of course. So how to translate these trends into REAL homes PLUS add a touch of pattern and personalization?
Design Bloggers, who have their fingers on the pulse of ALL the trends can perhaps provide some answers. They have also been using LOTS of gorgeous shades of gray in their Royal Design Studio stencil projects lately. Seriously, gray has been THE go-to color for stenciling lately, and looking at these fabulous rooms and spaces, you can see why! Now let's give credit where credit is due....
1. Happenings of the Sagans stenciled a glowing metallic fireplace feature wall with our Casbah Trellis Moroccan Stencil.
2. Sawdust and Embryos took their stair landing up a step (or two!) with the Endless Circles Lattice Stencil.
3. Casa Haus stayed with a super soft and light gray paint and our Moroccan Geometry Stencil to create a subtle stenciled wall that almost reads like texture.
4. Hello From the Natos stenciled a fab feature wall with the Large Marrakech Trellis Stencil. Notice how the pattern just "pulls you" into the space?
5. Mom's Crafty Space crafted a stenciled headboard wall with style using our Eastern Lattice Wall Stencil.
6. Our popular Endless Circles Lattice stencil wraps the walls in a gorgeous stenciled wallpaper treatment by Sugar Bee Crafts
7. Because I Like to Decorate softened a Mid Century Modern chest with a distressed paint treatment and our graceful Fabric Damask Stencil.
8. Our Chez Sheik Moroccan stencil looks très chic in soft metallic gray tones stenciled in a dining room by Mad in Crafts.
9. What's UR Home Story stenciled a lovely, lacy look with our sweet Japanese Birds Allover Stencil.
Do you see a trend? Soft, warm grays and tone-on-tone looks stencil patterns from our Moroccan Stencils Collection create the look of texture as much as pattern. Bolder, more contrasting color choices combined with Modern Allover Stencils create easy, instant drama and impact.
The color gray can be enjoyed through-out the seasons in subtle tones or darker shades, always remembering to pair it with contrasting, vibrant hues depending on the time of year. A bright lemon sorbet yellow would be perfect for the summer, while a turquoise blue with soft corals would make the perfect accent for the spring. And for fall, distressed wood furniture would make the coziest room to cuddle up in.
We have some great Pinterest Boards going that offer even more ideas for using the color gray in your decorating: